Proud to be a Dairy Farmer
Inspiring & supporting the next generation of dairy farmers to get a head start
Designed for young dairy farm employees excited about working in the industry and eager to learn more, the program runs over three days to showcase all the industry has to offer.
For farm owners and operators, it’s a great opportunity to invest in the development of your crucial staff to ensure their ongoing commitment to your business and the industry.
Overall, the program aims to attract, support, and retain young people in the dairy industry by empowering them to make long-term decisions about their future, and how to go about it.
Now in its fourth year, the program has supported 50 participants across four states and nine processors. The program is open to all staff and employees of ALL Australian dairy farms.
2024 Applications now closed
Applications for the 2024 program are now closed. Applications will open again open in October 2024 for 2025.
Applications open for the 2025 Program
Successful applicants will be contacted
Who should apply?
Are you (or a family member or employee aged 18-35) someone who:
- Is excited about working in dairy and eager to learn more, and
- Will benefit from seeing the path and benefits of a career in dairy, and
- Has been working in dairy for at least two years, but not yet made any significant financial investment into dairy, and
- Has commenced or completed a Cert 3 or 4 in Ag/Dairy Production (not essential, but preferred), and
- Has a great attitude about dairy and wants to meet other like-minded people, and
- Will actively contribute their own thoughts and experiences throughout the program.
- A three day experience (including travel) held in Melbourne with farm and factory visits in Gippsland
- Hear from industry experts and learn from the best in the field
- Insights into the dairy industry's structure, role in Australia and it's impact
- Healthy Minds - learn about the importance of mental health
- Networking opportunities with like-minded people from all over Australia
- A gala dinner with industry leaders
Learn about operating structures (Share, Lease, Equity & Partnerships)
What happens to your milk once it leaves the farm.
Creating a mentally healthy workplace and community
Understand our industry - from processors to industry bodies
Visiting Farms and local dairy factory / manufacturing sites
Connect with like-minded people in an exciting multi-day program
Proud to be a Dairy Farmer is proudly owned, run and funded by farmers, for farmers. Spearheaded by the Fonterra Australia Suppliers’ Council, we are a representative group of 17 dairy farmers from Victoria and Tasmania.
We are proud to support all young dairy farmers regardless of where you’re based or which processor your farm supplies.
We thank and acknowledge Fonterra Australia for supporting this program.